Douwe Jan Joustra has a strong experience of managing transitions in complex situations, always with a focus on the next steps.
Joustra says: “Whenever I work on major societal changes, my approach is based on systems thinking. I see that we need to apply much more of the knowledge that can be gained from ecology: that is what the makes the world go round…”
Joustra was Head of Circular Transformation at C&A Foundation. The ambition of C&A Foundation is to make 'Fashion a force for good', based on circular economy principles. Under his guidance, C&A Foundation became, worldwide, thought leader in the development to 'Circular Fashion'.
Three headlines are in the program Circular Fashion now:
1 Facilitate innovations that support change;
2 support implementation of circular business models in the fashion industry through new methodologies and available data and
3 create conditions for (systems-)change.
Joustra was change manager/strategist in the Dutch Accelerator CE (NederlandCirculair!). He was associate of the Dutch Green Science Alliance (Het Groene Brein), creating and servicing the Research Agenda for Circular Economy and the Dutch Circular Economy Science Lab. And he was associated with Innovationpartners (Innovatiepartners), designers of the new economy. Joustra started in 2013 working on the role of design in Circular Economy, this resulted in CIRCO Creating business through circular design is a programme, that inspires and facilitates the manufacturing industry to ‘Go Circular’, using a circular design approach.
Joustra managed (inter-governmental) programmes on:
- Intergovernmental program(s) on Environmental Education and Education for Sustainable Development (1996-2001)
- Sustainable Revitalisation of Cities, process manager in the National Initiative Sustainable Development (NIDO) 2001-2005
- Cradle to Cradle program coordinator within Dutch government during the period 2007-2010
- Innovation programme Climate Neutral Cities for the Ministery of Environment (2009-2011).
- Circular Economy (2010 – now): in the Netherlands and international Joustra is acknowledged as an expert on Circular Economy in business and the performance of governments in enhancing circular economy initiatives.
- C&A Foundation: Head Circular Transformation 2017-2020. Creation of the Global programme 'Circular Fashion' including presentations in Mumbai, New Delhi, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Brussels, London, Amsterdam and more
- Province Zeeland: implementation of circular economy in policy and companies 2013/2014/2015
- Het Groene Brein’ Dutch networks of scientists: creation of the Dutch research agenda circular economy 2014/2015/2016
- RACE Realization Acceleration Circular Economy network (NederlandCirculair!) in the Netherlands 2014/2015/2016
- International: In Taoyuan (Taiwan) Joustra was member of the expert group on implementation of circular economy. In Brazil he presented his vision on circular business at the National congress of CNI (National Confederation of Industry), FIRJAN (Federation of Industry Rio de Janeiro) and CBIC (Confederation Building Industry Brazil). He also did presentations in England, China, Denmark and USA.